Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lesson 2 from Oregon



While at the convention, God really impressed on my heart the fact that I should be discipling other women. Now, I have always believed in discipleship, but more for the men in our church. I guess I thought of it as more of a leader training. I think women's Bible studies are great, but I believe discipleship is taking it one step further (actually many steps further).

 Matthew 28:16-20:

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

I need to better apply the words of these verses:

• "...make disciples of all nations..."- I need to be involved in sharing with others how to follow Christ. Also, this should not be limited to any one people group. So, going back to Lesson 1 from Oregon, I need to be witnessing to the lost.

• "...teaching them to observe all that I have commanded..."- I need to be training others to follow and obey Christ. This is what I would call the discipling area. Honestly, this is an area that sometimes scares me. Opening myself up and sharing my faith and failures is a hard thing to do. But, being obedient to God is more important than my reputation is.

No comments: