Monday, April 21, 2008

Do Not Provoke Your Children

As a mom I struggle constantly with trying to be a good mom. Many times I carry "Mommy Guilt" around. Guilt that I am somehow going to wreck my children for life. I am always happy to come across godly counsel, even if it cuts me deep.
Last night as I was reading blogs, I came across a great article by John MacArthur based on his commentary on Ephesians. The whole article can be found at Pulpit Magazine. It is an article worth reading. Though I will be honest it is not a feel good article to make you feel all warm and fuzzy. Hopefully, the result will be more beneficial. Here is one of the ways I do provoke my children:

Well–meaning overprotection is a common cause of resentment in children. Parents who smother their children, overly restrict where they can go and what they can do, never trust them to do things on their own, and continually question their judgment build a barrier between themselves and their children—usually under the delusion that they are building a closer relationship. Children need careful guidance and certain restrictions, but they are individual human beings in their own right and must learn to make decisions on their own, commensurate with their age and maturity. Their wills can be guided but they cannot be controlled.

This morning I asked my husband to read the article too. I asked him if he would keep me accountable in these areas. With God's help I will use this information to grow into a better mom.

No comments: