Monday, February 11, 2008

A Good Prayer Life


I need to get back on track talking about being a godly wife. I believe the one area that I have always struggled with is a good prayer life. I struggle because I have no problem going to God when things are bad, but when things are going good I am not as faithful. Then guilt sets in and I have a whole new reason not to humble myself before God.
In our ladies' Bible study last month we read a chapter on prayer, that really challenged me. We are going through, Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes. Here is a quote from the chapter:

Apart from the well-known scriptural calls to prayer, there are two great human reasons why we ought to pray.
The first is found in the fact that prayer is the source of power for growth and perseverance in our spiritual lives.
...The second reason is that prayer bends our wills to God's will, which is what submitting our lives is all about.

The second reason is what really speaks to me, I want to be in God's will always. I therefore need to be in prayer constantly. God knows I am a sinner and knows I will fail, but He also knows He sent His one and only Son to save me from myself.

How does this affect my marriage? When I am not living in God's will I am trying to live in my own will, which is saturated with selfishness, pride and jealousy. All elements which make a bad marriage. However, when I am praying to God constantly He is able to work in my life as I bow my will to His. I need to change daily and only God can make my hard heart, soft and pliable again.

When I am living in God's will, I am able to love my husband selflessly without any expectations of what I may get. Thank you God.

No comments: