Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Math Test


Today, as I was correcting my oldest daughter's math test I noticed she kept breathing hard. I asked why she was doing that and she answered that she was nervous. I explained to my daughter that tests are to help us, not make us nervous. We need to learn things in life and tests help us to know if we understand things correctly. She passed her test which means she finished her book. She made a couple of small mistakes, so I had her sit next to me and we worked on them together to make sure she completely understood. I do not want her to go to the next level of math unprepared because I was eager for her to pass.
As a homeschool mom, I need to be very careful that I do not put pressure on my children to make the grade I would want(to somehow validate me as their teacher), but that they are learning and having fun doing it. As a HS mom I constantly feel the pressure to make sure they are learning what their friends are learning in school, but as I pray God reminds me I have them home for another more important reason. That is to mold my girls into godly women. To not just say "sit down and do your work," but to explain patiently to them how to figure things out on their own.
When I was in school I would cram the day before for a test and forget everything as soon as I wrote it down. I want my girls to remember what they learn because it was enjoyable to learn about in the first place.
Homeschooling for me has been God working on me in so many ways. I am so thankful that God uses every detail in our lives to teach us of our dependence on Him.

No comments: